The establishment of the Directorate of Academic Planning in Nigerian universities is in response to the need to coordinate and streamline the academic policies and activities arising from rapid growth, establishment and proliferation of programmes and units in the university system. The Unit therefore becomes handy in the collection and management of data and information to guide the academic development of universities while ensuring compliance with NUC’s Benchmark Minimum Academic Standards (BMAS) and with the university senate’s academic regulations.
The Directorate of Academic Planning is an integral part of the Vice Chancellor’s office and headed by a Director. The Academic Planning Directorate of Nasarawa State University is currently headed by a Director, Professor Haruna Kuje Ayuba. The Director of Academic Planning is complimented by other staff members. These are
- Mr. Agye Omale Adamu : Academic Planning Officer I
- Mrs. Salamatu Usman Yunana : Secretary
- Mr. Abdullahi Tahir : Clerical officer.
The overall function of the Directorate is to promote the quality of teaching and learning, co-ordinate, research activities and assist in promoting University and the nation.
Other functions include but not limited to:
- Collection, analysis and interpretation of data from relevant University.
- Provision of data-based information on various aspects of University operations for use by the University as it deems fit. Some of those aspects include information on University academic/ material resources, University facilities, etc.
- Periodic updating and analysis of data from relevant University bodies for the University on all the NUC approved funding parameters and other guidelines.
- Annual updating, projection, analysis and interpretation of the university budget and the subsequent resource allocation within the ambit of the approved budget. The Bursar is responsible for financial planning and implementing of the financial matters of the University. He works closely with the DAP in the production and presentation of the University budget.
- Preparing and revising as and when due the University academic brief document.
- Evaluating of proposals for new academic programs and merger and demerger of academic units based on stipulated guidelines.
- Monitoring and maintaining academic standards through diverse internal assessment of academic activities.
- Maintaining and dissemination of computer assisted data bank for use in planning, budgeting and other management requirement by liaising with Deans, registrar (Academic Secretary, Admission Officer, Personnel/Establishment Officer, exams and Records). Coordinating of accreditation of degree programmes affected by the NUC.
- Preparation and coordination of University’s Strategic plan, amongst others.
- Carrying out other duties as assigned by the Vice-Chancellor.